Thursday, January 19, 2012

Grapefruit Brulee



I think citrus fruit is a nice little consolation prize for those of us who have to endure winter in the North.  It's as if some of that sunshine down in Florida is packaged up in nice little yellow and orange orbs and shipped right here to Connecticut to cheer me up. I feel especially happy this morning because I have discovered grapefruit brulee.  It is possible I might even feel a little giddy, and that almost never happens in January.

Here is the recipe - you sprinkle about 1 1/2 teaspoons of raw sugar over the cut side of a grapefruit .  Fire up the little blowtorch you keep in the garage and almost never ever use.  Carefully pass the flame directly over  the sugar until it melts and turns a crackly brown.  Sprinkle a touch of sea salt over the surface and then eat it. The smoky sugar melts down and permeates the entire fruit and at the same time the top stays crunchy and sweet and the interior remains cool.  This is grapefruit perfection.


*Sarah tried this using her oven broiler and said it was okay, but tasted "kinda like warmed sugar." Propane torches are about $15.00 at Home Depot.  Just a suggestion.

1 comment:

  1. I want this in my belly now. I'm sure it would cure my two week cold in one week.

    ReplyDelete